Beekeeping Beginners Course
Starts Wednesday 14th February, 2024 at 7:30PM
in the Church of Ireland Centre, Athy, Co Kildare.
Six lectures and additional practical sessions with experienced beekeepers, covering all aspects of beekeeping: All sessions are on Wednesdays, 7.30pm-9.00pm.
• 14th February Welcome, introduction. The Colony
• 21st February Beekeeping equipment and clothing
• 28th February Disease - Healthy Bees
• 6th March Monthly club meeting
• 13th March Swarm Control
• 20th March Forage
• 27th March A Year in the Apiary
• 3rd April Monthly club meeting
• 10th April: Practical workshop. Frame Making and Smoker use.
Beekeeping Supplies Company presentation.
Additional practical sessions in the summer will include a visit to the club apiary
and honey harvesting/extraction.
Enrol and pay online. Places limited
The course will continue when the weather is suitable at the Association apiary where beginners will get hands on experience with bees under the watchful eyes of club beekeepers. Dates and times for these sessions will be confirmed at club meetings. During August we will hold extraction night, when the club beehives are harvested for honey and beginners are invited to take part in the practical session on honey removal, extraction, and processing. Beginners under 18 years if age must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times (lectures and workshops).