An Introduction to the fascinating craft of beekeeping with lectures, demonstrations and hands-on experience with honeybees.
Our Beekeeping Beginners Course for 2024 will be held at the Church of Ireland Centre, Athy. It starts on Wednesday 14th February at 7.30p, and runs through to April with lectures and practical sessions.
From May through to August there will be opportunities to visit our Association bee hives. The course finishes with a honey extraction workshop in August 2024.
- 14th February: Welcome, introduction. The Colony.
- 21nd February: Beekeeping equipment and clothing.
- 28th Febuary: Frame making workshop.
- 6th March: Regular monthly club meeting – all welcome.
- 13th March: Forage.
- 20th March: Disease – Healthy Bees.
- 27h March: Swarm Control.
- 3rd April: Regular monthly club meeting – all welcome.
- 10th April A Year in the Apiary.
- 17th April: Smoker use workshop.
The course will continue when the weather is suitable at the Association apiary where beginners will get hands on experience with bees under the watchful eyes of club beekeepers. Dates and times for these sessions will be confirmed at club meetings.
During August we will hold extraction night, when the club beehives are harvested for honey and beginners are invited to take part in the practical session on honey removal, extraction, and processing.
Beginners under 18 years if age must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times (lectures and workshops).