An Introduction to the fascinating craft of beekeeping with lectures, demonstrations and hands-on experience with honeybees.
Our Beekeeping Beginners Course for 2023 will be held at the Church of Ireland Centre, Athy. It starts on Wednesday 15th February at 7.30p, and runs through to April with lectures and practical sessions.
From May through to August there will be opportunities to visit our Association bee hives. The course finishes with a honey extraction workshop in August 2023.
- 15th February: Welcome, introduction. The Colony.
- 22nd February: Beekeeping equipment and clothing.
- 1st March: Regular monthly club meeting – all welcome.
- 8th March: Frame making workshop.
- 15th March: Forage.
- 22nd March: Disease – Healthy Bees.
- 29th March: Swarm Control.
- 5th April: Regular monthly club meeting – all welcome.
- 12th April A Year in the Apiary.
- 19th April: Smoker use workshop.
The course will continue when the weather is suitable at the Association apiary where beginners will get hands on experience with bees under the watchful eyes of club beekeepers. Dates and times for these sessions will be confirmed at club meetings.
During August we will hold extraction night, when the club beehives are harvested for honey and beginners are invited to take part in the practical session on honey removal, extraction, and processing.
Beginners under 18 years if age must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times (lectures and workshops).
There are no reviews yet.