An Introduction to the fascinating craft of beekeeping with lectures, demonstrations and hands-on experience with honeybees.
If you would like to register for our 2023 beginners course please complete your details here.
Our Beekeeping Beginners Course for 2023 will be held in Athy and starts on 15th February 2023 through to April with lectures.
May through to August with Practical visits to our Association bee hives and finishes with Honey Extraction in August 2023.
- 15th Feb Welcome, introduction. The Colony,
- 22nd Feb Beekeeping equipment and clothing,
- 8th March Frame Making Workshop,
- 15th March Forage * St Patricks Weekend,
- 22nd March Disease – Healthy Bees,
- 29th March Swarm Control,
- 5th April Practical Smoker use * Holy Thursday,
- 12th April A Year in the Apiary,
During August we hold extraction night – where the clubs beehives are harvested for honey and beginners are invited to take part in the practical session on honey removal, extraction, and processing.Beginners under 16yrs must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times (lectures and workshops).